Transition Support


Saskatchewan is home to some of the most restrictive smoking laws in Canada.  As with any public building in Saskatchewan, all school facilities are non-smoking.  There is a designated smoking area outside and away from the building.  Please keep the area clean by always using the receptacle for cigarette butts.


The minimum drinking age in Saskatchewan is 19 and then only in licensed bars or restaurants, or in a private home.  Consuming alcohol is not allowed in any public place.

Statutory Holidays

Holidays in Canada may vary significantly then from your home country.  While we try to be aware of holidays and religious observances in other countries, please be aware that it is the Canadian holidays that we observe.  There are 10 public (statutory) holidays per year in Saskatchewan: New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Saskatchewan Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, and Christmas Day. You will find all applicable holidays listed in your electronic calendar.  If there is a significant religious conflict, please talk with your prior to the event.  We are often able to accommodate. Our school is only closed during statutory holidays.


Saskatchewan has four seasons: spring, summer, autumn (fall) and winter and we enjoy them all.  In the summer, daytime temperatures are normally between 20°C and 25°C, but they can on occasion reach 40° C or higher.  In the winter months, night-time temperatures normally range from -15°C to -25°C, but have been known to fall as low as -30°C to -40°C on occasion.  These ranges can appear to be overwhelming to someone not familiar with dry climates.  Generally, people can be very comfortable with whatever weather there is provided they dress appropriately.

One factor you need to consider in the winter is "wind chill".  When high winds are added to cold temperatures, the weather is much colder on any exposed areas than what the thermometer reads.  For example, -10°C with a wind speed of 40 kilometers per hour will feel like a temperature of -21°C on exposed skin.  Parts of the body that are adequately covered will generally feel no ill effects.  Your counsellor can assist you in how to dress for the weather.

On average, Saskatchewan has the most sunshine compared to any other province in Canada.


Saskatoon supports a wide range of banking options.  The following link provides a list of financial services in and around the Saskatoon area.

Income Tax

Students must submit an income tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency once a year in order to claim a tuition credit.  These claims need to be filed annually by the end of April.  Depending upon the amount earned, international students who work on or off campus may also be required to complete an income tax return. For further information, call the Canada Revenue Agency at toll- free 1-800-959-8281 or visit

City of Saskatoon Website

The following website provides youwith a variety of information including housing, healthcare, transportation, city services, shopping, transportation, employment services, recreation and studying 

Driver's Licence

For more information regarding the specifics of driving in Saskatchewan or how to acquire a Saskatchewan Driver's Licence, please refer to the following website

Places of Worship

There are a variety of religious organizations in Saskatoon.  Attending a religious service is strictly voluntary.  For more information regarding churches refer to


Information regarding public transportation in the city of Saskatoon can be found at:

Information regarding Access Transit (for people with physical disabilities) can be found at:

Saskatoon does not have a rapid transit service.

Provincial Bus Services

Saskatchewan has an excellent intercity bus service with service to other cities in other provinces for reasonable rates.

Greyhound Lines of Canada 306-782-2355 

Taxi Services

Comfort Cabs 306-664-6464
Saskatoon Radio Cabs 306-242-1221
United Cabs 306-652-2222


We recommend that you commence your search for accommodation well in advance of coming to Saskatoon to ensure suitable options to choose from. 

If renting, phone the landlord and ask about conditions, restrictions, and available facilities. Ask about monthly rent and other deposits such as a security deposit or damage deposit as generally, you will be asked to provide a security deposit and your first month's rent, before you make a decision. Normally, electricity and water bills will be additional but make sure to ask.  Review any lease carefully before you sign it to make sure you know what conditions are attached to the lease.  We can refer you to a lawyer if you wish them to review it (they will charge a small fee).

If a problem arises between you and the landlord, contact the Office of Residential Tenancies, Main Floor, Sturdy Stone Building, 122 - 3rd Avenue North, Saskatoon, SK, S7K 2H6 933-5680.

A landlord cannot discriminate because of your religion, marital status, family status, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, colour, ancestry, nationality, place of origin, race, or if you receive public assistance. If you believe you have been discriminated against for any of these reasons, contact Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission, 816 Sturdy Stone Building, 122 3rd Avenue North, Saskatoon, S7K 2H6. 933-5952

We provide a workshop on Saskatchewan Human Rights in the program which will provide additional information from an entrepreneur's perspective as well as an individual perspective.

Refer to /Information for Landlords and Tenants from the provincial government and the Housing Handbook Services/PlanningDevelopment/Documents/Neighbourhood Planning/Housing_Handbook.pdf from the City of Saskatoon for further details (copies in main office).

There are also room and/or board options available.  This is where you can live in the home of a Saskatoon resident where meals and/or accommodation are provided.  And of course you can choose to purchase a home or condo as well.  We can refer you to real estate agents that can assist you in this regard.

Average prices for accommodation can be found at

Accommodation in Saskatoon can be found by searching local classified listings online and in the local newspaper.  Some of the more popular sites include:

Praxis is developing an internal off-campus registry where members of the Saskatoon community, and in particular our alumni, can list accommodation offerings for our students.  One of our alumni operates a property management company, Cobble Stone Residential Services, that can also provide assistance finding suitable accommodation.  We also have access to short term residential units for rent should you have to wait for your accommodation to be ready.

Health Supports

Medical Insurance

All residents of Saskatchewan receive hospital and medical coverage at no charge. This coverage includes the cost of a bed in a public ward in the hospital and a doctor's fee. International students who come directly from another country are eligible to receive coverage in Saskatchewan from the day they arrive as long as they apply to Saskatchewan Health. Please apply online at

You must include three pieces of identification including study permit, passport, and proof that you are a Saskatchewan resident. You also need to include a form signed by the Praxis School of Entrepreneurship confirming that you are a full time student. Once the application has been processed, you will receive a health services card in the mail. This card must be presented when going to a doctor or a hospital for treatment. Make sure to fill out the application as soon as you arrive so your health needs will be covered.

In addition to many individual doctor offices, Saskatoon has three major hospitals and 10 walk-in medi-clinic facilities. 

Royal University Hospital
103 Hospital Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W8
Main Switchboard: 306-655-1000

Saskatoon City Hospital
701 Queen Street
Saskatoon, SK S7K 0M7
Main Switchboard: 306-655-8000

St Paul's Hospital
1702 - 20th Street
Saskatoon, SK S7M 0Z9
Main Switchboard: 306-655-5000

20th and Q Pediatric Specialists and Family Walk-In
1631-20th St. W.
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Blairmore Medical Clinic
225 Betts Ave.
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Closed weekends and holidays


Lakeside Medical Clinic
3919 - 8th St. E.
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Lenore Medical Clinic
#4 - 123 Lenore Drive
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday and holidays 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

#101 - 3333 - 8th St. E.
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Weekends and holidays 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Pinehouse Medical Centre and Walk-In Medical Clinic
# 147-211 Pinehouse Dr.
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Closed weekends and holidays

Saskatoon Minor Emergency Clinic
3110 Laurier Dr.
Saskatoon, SK
Daily 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Westend Walk-In and Medical Clinic
411 Confederation Drive
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Westgate Medical and Minor emergency clinic
#18 - 2410-22nd St. W.
Saskatoon, SK
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

You do not need an appointment to go to a walk in clinic. You should phone to check on the hours of operation as they do change periodically. You will need to present your provincial health card for service.

Dental/Prescription Drugs

The Saskatchewan Health Plan does not cover routine dental expenses or prescriptions drugs. If you wish additional coverage you will need to purchase private health insurance from companies such as:

Private coverage for entrepreneurs is also discussed during the program and may be a more suitable option when you are ready to start your business.

Mental Health Clinical and Counselling Services

Mental Health clinical and counselling services are available for adults in Saskatchewan.  These include diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of mental health problems as well as counselling and support for community clients; and consultation and support to other agencies. Adult services available through the health regions' mental health clinics include:

Contact the Saskatoon Regional Health Authority
Adult Services: Suite 156, 122 3rd Ave. N. Sturdy Stone Building

Mental health supports are also available through referral through a doctor.  Go to your family doctor, walk in clinic or emergency services in a hospital and ask to speak to medical personnel.  They have the ability to refer you to a psychiatrist and the costs will be covered by provincial health insurance.

Below are a few psychologists and counsellors in Saskatoon:

PPC-Professional Psychologists & Counsellors (Prof Corp)
1118 College Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W2

306 664 0037

Chartier Arnold Brock Shimp & Associates, Registered Psychologists
1324 College Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W5

New Beginnings Counseling Services Inc.
115-1222 Alberta Avenue
Saskatoon, SK S7K 1R4 (Praxis Alumnus)

Penney Murphy & Associates, Registered Counsellors & Consultants
206 - 502 Cope Way
Saskatoon, SK S7T 0G3
306 242 1010

Community Connections

The Newcomer Information Centre is a Regional Newcomer Gateway, serving newcomers to Saskatoon and communities within a 150 kilometers radius of Saskatoon.

The Newcomer Information Centre in Saskatoon provides free services to newcomers within the East Central Region of Saskatchewan. Their goal is to ensure successful settlement and integration of newcomers. Some of their services include community tours, connections to cultural, social and recreational groups and events, and referrals to community services. They also provide community connections to employment, housing, healthcare, places of worship and other activities that facilitate the settlement process.

Newcomer Information Centre
106 - 129 3rd Avenue North
Saskatoon, SK S7K 2H4
306 343 8303

Their hours are as follows:

Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5: 00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Other organizations that provide services for newcomers include:

Saskatoon Open Door Society

Saskatchewan Intercultural Association

International Women of Saskatoon

Global Gathering

We are well acquainted with these organizations having sat on the SIA board and regularly presenting entrepreneurship information sessions to their participants.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada is the organization that provides information regarding federal requirements for studying in Canada including visa processes, post-graduate work permits and other immigration related issues.

Saskatchewan Immigration also has excellent resources for students.


« Back to International Students page